Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Four Agreements

My absolute lifesaver during the toughest times of my turmoil was a little book called The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz I can't count how many times I have purchased and given this book away to anyone I've ever met who was "going through."
One sad lonely day I was channel surfing and Sandra Burnhart was on TV talking about how this book had changed her life. Let me say here that I have never liked Sandra Burnhart, but I was compelled after her description, to check this book out. Prior to that, I had perused the self-help, divorce-recovery isles of every bookstore, library and amazon.com and found NOTHING that spoke to my heart and mind. Even my tear stained Bible seemed to depress me. Suddenly, Psalms seemed too cliche.

This little book had all the answers in four easy little steps.
1. Be Impeccable With Words
2. Take Nothing Personal
3. Assume Nothing
4 Always Do Your Best

I won't even go into what it means to me. Check it out for yourself. You will find yourself associating a number with a situation. Depending on the kind of day I am having, I will simply write a number on my hand to remind me to keep all of my agreements. Sometimes I get stuck. This week I am struggling with 3 actually. 1 and 2 are simple (for me). 4 lets me off the hook. 3 is the thinking woman's nemesis.

It is virtually impossible, on some days, to not make assumptions. It is the thinking that works us up. If we can just stop the scripted movie from playing in our heads long enough to allow an event to actually happen, we might find happiness. I really think by making assumptions, we tamper with life's outcomes.

The Four Agreements has taken on a life of it's own. The movement has grown to astronomical proportions, but really, just read it for yourself. Don't buy all the little accompaniments (yet). Just allow yourself to really take in what he is saying. It is a quick read and a mind opener. It is mental wasabi. The book can be purchased anywhere for next to nothing. If you want information, simply click the title of this blog and it will take you to the sight.

No comments: