Tuesday, October 10, 2006

"We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"

Her mind is Tiffany twisted.
She got the Mercedes Benz.
She got a lot of pretty boys
that she calls friends

A male friend recently commented that being happily single was a contradiction. He further went on to state that I am (happily) single by choice. His comments were fueled by his observation that I APPEAR to be having my cake and eating it too. You know, all my own stuff is mine. I don't have someone to check in with or to be responsible for.....

When a woman is liberated, I think, men get jealous. Not scared. Men are not scared of women, never believe that myth. They are (sometimes) intimidated by the possibility that we may NOT need them.

Those women who proudly proclaim themselves INDEPENDENT, which by the way is so passe in this day and age, say they are not looking for a man. I don't think that is true and I don't think that is a good word to use to describe someone who has decided she can do bad by herself. The word I have chosen is LIBERATED because when you need what you have and have what you need, you are truly free. To be independent is to not depend on someone, but you can still struggle, just struggle independently.

In the song Hotel California, The Eagles paint this picture of what looks like Heaven, but in actuality is Hell. He can't seem to figure that out until the song is almost over. By the way, that's when he discovers that you can check in anytime you like, but you can never leave.

This blog, and this whole experience is designed to celebrate LIBERATION. What I do know about Liberation (and salvation) is that it is FREE and I am FREE to be me. I am FREE to do me. I am FREE to like me.

So many times we are jailed by our internal wardens. We have limited ourselves (loosely based on societal confines). We just might be prisoners of our own device..But guess who has the KEY??? Here's a hint, look in the mirror.

So the next question is: Do you really wanna be free? To:

sing the words of that Old Negro Spiritual, Free at last!!! Free at last!!!
Thank God ALMIGHTY, I'm Free at last!!!
MLK

I know I am!!

No comments: