Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ice Is SLIPPERY

This weekend I participated in a past time that made me nostalgic for my childhood. Every year, my younger brother and I would watch TEAM USA Figureskating championships. My brother would lose major cool points if anyone knew how we loved it. In his defense, the one thing he wanted to see more than anything was someone fall. Back in the 80s it was quite the rage with Katarina Witt and Debbie Thomas and who could ever forget the tabloid ending of Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding. Don't act like you don't remember!!!!
At any rate, figureskating, it seems, has it's own Drama filled process and there is (surprisingly) a lot of internal conflict. Personally, I'd have issues getting into that tiny little piece of fabric they call a "costume", but I digress.
Sasha Cohen returned to the ice rink this weekend to try and make the National Team after a 4 year hiatus. At the ripe old age of 25, she was the elder stateswoman and as such received a lot of press when her first day of competition had her in the top tier. On the second and final day, she was poised for the comeback story of a lifetime [as if sports needed anymore of em]. She was asked about how realistic her perception of her chances really was by a reporter to which she replied: " Ice is still SLIPPERY." I fell in love with her dry tone and the delivery. Her point was not missed on my on again off again attempts at dating and pursuing the ONE [if he really exists]. She went on to say that she had prepared (me too) she had practiced (me too!) she had experience (me too!!) and so did the other girls, but that the only thing that she could count on is if somebody made a mistake which would improve her chances of winning IF and ONLY IF, she had the performance of a lifetime (sigh). I was amazed at how she had just come to the resolution that MY BEST IS ALL I CAN DO, and maybe one of these other chicks will fall. Maybe, just maybe, I will catch the luckiest of breaks.
GUESS WHAT HAPPENED??? SASHA FELL!!!! That's right. The one thing she had anticipated actually happened to her. In a word, KARMA. She went home out of contention [for now]. She was predictably upbeat afterward, and despite there was plenty of space for a pity party, the blame game and excuse making, she carried herself with grace. I felt her pain and am an overnight Sasha Fan. There is only one thing I must add to her quote: Ice is SLIPPERY and COLD!!!

No comments: