Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Step in the name of Love

Step Step
side to side
round and round
dip and dive
hit the floor
bring it back
now everybody do the love slide..

There's nothing like dancing with directions huh? Remember that "how to dance" thingie that was all the rage back in the 70's? It was a yellow mat with footprints to follow to learn the "latest" dances?? Currently there is the arcade version: Dance Dance Revolution. It looks pretty fun, and funny. Don't you wish all the steps we took had fail proof instructions? Maybe all dances should be as safe as a good old fashioned 2-STEP. In this day and age though,even that has become complicated, or as they like to call it : REMIX.
I don't know about you, but for every two steps I take, three are backward. This is the year of little progress and it has me angry at the DJ.....ME!! I really don't want to hear the recession blues or the same love song played a million times and ways...you know-all the good men are taken. Chile they locked up, gay or married....it's all the old song your grandmother taught you: A Good Man is HARD to Find. Why did I think it would be easier the second time around?
Sure the Black Barbie Doll has a song out for ALL DA SINGLE LADIES, but she has her KEN. It's easy to flounce a million dollar lace front around with a tail that stops traffic and sing a joyful song about being single, but the reality is that REAL SINGLE WOMEN have too much to do to tend to their love lives. By the time we take care of our household, career, finance and family issues [not necessarily in that order], we don't have the A. Time, B. Energy, C. Strength, or D. All of the Above to issue such a strong ultimatum to the half of a man we found. To that end, my mantra has been to take care of me. Instead of stepping in the direction of people who mean me no harm, but do me no good, I'm stepping to myself. I am changing my tune. Instead of forcing the hand of my emotional poker partner, I am going to turn my cards in. It's just time to change the music. If you're tired of overpaid pop princesses telling you what you should do, and even more exhausted with half dressed "models" showing you how to twerk your way through school, {as if you needed instructions when all you really want is your student loan bill to dissolve}, then change your playlist, I dare you.
As a music junkie, nothing is more important to me than my daily playlists. I have one for working out full of songs that pump me up for the elliptical. My playlists cover everything from dinner parties and cleaning up the house to getting me pumped for a night out on the town. I am about to create a romance-recession proof playlist....any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Not A Love Song by OMAR