Friday, August 18, 2006

What's the name all about?

Welcome to the beginning of a really fun blog. I have been enjoying the rollercoaster of divorce and one night over dinner as my now ex-husband was explaining to me all the reasons our marriage of 7 years was ending, I couldn't help thinking " I shaved my legs for this??"
See, when a sister shaves her legs there is a certain degree of seriousness associated with the event. We must be willing to risk getting our hair wet in the shower, so at the very least, the contortions we go through must be worth it. If I knew that this particular dinner date was going to be such a downer, I would not have invested the time. This is not to say that sistas don't as a rule shave our legs, it's just "special." The event must be worthy.
Have you ever been sitting up in church really in need of a good sermon only to find your pastor wasn't preaching AND the 3 year old choir was singing when you were really expecting to hear the young adults choir?? You got yourself all ready and you sit there (in the house of the Lord no less) thinking, I shaved my legs for this??? That in a nutshell is the origin of the concept. Life is full of events that don't live up to the amount of time you have invested : the interview for the job you hated, the date with the cute guy from the gym who couldn't complete a sentence if you fronted him a noun and two verbs, the trip with your girls that went sour. These things make you question if it was worth it to go the extra mile. I for one shouldna done it.

No comments: