Friday, October 16, 2009

There comes a point where our parents are no longer responsible for the decisions and by decisions, I mean MISTAKES we make as adults. I say this to free a someone I love. One of my clients has an out of town parent. Staying with grandma and grandpa has taken it's toll on this young person who has shut down and begun experimenting with drugs. It reminds me of a family situation and I took a lot of time with this mother today to share with her the pros and cons of sending her only son to stay with her parents. I know many a man (and woman) who refuses to forgive his mother for making the same tough decision many years ago. It was then (as it is now) for his own good, but when we are young, we can not understand that which is good for us, doesn't always feel good to us. It is when we are adults that we understand the tough decisions that make us grown ups in the first place. If life were full of easy decisions, we'd still be in the sandbox.

When I was a child I spake as a child. When I became an adult, I put away childhood things....

Harboring anger is childish
Not wanting to be responsible for mistakes is childish
Making a mistake is human...not trying to fix it is childish...

This unreleased resentment and frustration stands between love developing and growing. It prevents people from meeting with their hearts. It stands between me and mine. What is standing between you and yours?

No comments: