Friday, August 08, 2008

Queen of Hearts

Playing with the Queen of Hearts,
Knowing it ain't really smart.
The Joker is the Only FOOL
to keep me away from you.
Juice Newton

My new addiction is Poker's All Stars. Watching people from different walks of life sit across each other from a table of sudden death poker with their hands televised is good stuff. I love how you see the cards, but the opponent doesn't. Still, the strategies are intense and each hand feels better than the previous one. The cute guy, the weird guy, the housewife from Middle America, they all sit at the table as equals blinded by the fact that they don't know what's in the hand of the opponent. As viewers, we are privy and it doesn't help one bit. Come to think of it, would the game be any different if they could see each others' hand? I mean, they know all the cards and the possibilities and the combinations, yet, they gamble anyway....
It's a lot like, dare I say it, d-a-t-i-n-g. Each person plays the cards they've been dealt, but we stay in the game secretly hoping the dealer will give us a better hand. We look for the perfect hand. Your stomach does flips with every card, hoping and regretting at the same time. The Dating Deck has not been generous to me lately. I have been sitting on an ACE of SPADES, waiting for a KING of HEARTS. This new card I got, looks like it, but it could just be another JACK of CLUBS.
Stay tuned. It could be the Joker.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe the problem is you are sitting on the ace of spades and not the Queen of Hearts. Discard your spades and see if you pick up a heart and then up the ante.

Anonymous said...

i would like to know how a Poker Master would assess a comparison between the two, Poker and dating. One who has experienced playing the game the rules enough to comment on where the two compare as well as contrast...just a wandering thought.
It is so mind boggling for me just to entertain the comparison of the two. My mind races to determine who's the dealer, opponents, combinations, etc. I really believe that I don't like competition. Specifically when it comes to realtionships, living soul to living soul.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I chose the idea of poker BECAUSE of the posturing, the bluffing, the holding and folding of one's cards (see earlier post: The Gambler). Some compare dating to a crap-shoot. To me that involves less control. Poker is about thought and the willingness to let your hand develop into a winner with each card life deals. Sometimes we hold on to the wrong card for the right reasons or discard the right card for the wrong reasons. Souls are more complicated than cards (of course) when one is in the moment. After the hand is played though, it just feels like a game.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i admire how you illustrated your reponse to my comment before. Are you as well versed and experienced as you seem, because you speak as a true Poker Master?
If so, please counsel me as to how do you maintain your center of gravity in the thick of heightened emotions? How are you centered at times?...thank you, I enjoyed...barry

Anonymous said...

i admire how you illustrated your reponse to my comment before. Are you as well versed and experienced as you seem, because you speak as a true Poker Master?
If so, please counsel me as to how do you maintain your center of gravity in the thick of heightened emotions? How are you centered at times?...thank you, I enjoyed...barry

Don said...

This is a wonderful blog post. It has me thinking about how THIS is what blogging should be about.

I don't know Poker, but I know cards or dating. And I must say that while dating can be fun, sometimes the person must know when to 'fold 'em.'

Enjoyed the read. Check me out on Minus The Bars. I'm thinking we think alike.