Monday, June 25, 2007

I'm Still Standing

Tonight I heard Irreplaceable by Beyonce, and I thought it was cute. It gets you through that superficial moment when you are forced to diss and dismiss a brotha. I love incorporating music lyrics in my blog to lighten up the tone. However, there is a song I must share in it's entirety. It is one of two that pick me up whenever I slip,trip or lose footing on this journey. There are days weeks and months when this dating thing seems more complicated than ever. The deeper I have gotten, the less I realize I know about dating, men other women and yes, even myself. If I have made nothing clear it is that this thing is a lesson in trial and error (heavy on the errors). One minute it's all peaches and cream. It looks like it's shaping up to be the beginning of something wonderful and positive and straight outa a chick flick and the next it is just a bad Lifetime movie where the woman gets the short end of the stick.
To my girls: Keep your FAITH IN LOVE. It will let you down, but it will come around. If you feel that you have fallen and can't get up, remember whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right. I think that's Henry Ford. More importantly, I'd like to share my favorite Elton John song lyrics. Hit iTunes (or wherever) play it loud and sing along!!!


You could never know what it's like
Your blood like winter freezes just like ICE.
And there's a cold and lonely night that shines from
you
You'll wind up like the wreck you hide
behind that mask you use.

And if you think this fool could never win
well look at me I'm coming back again
I've got a taste for love and a simple way
And if you need to know why I'm still standing,
you just fret away!

Don't you know I'm still standing, better than I ever did.
Looking like a true survivor. Feeling like a little kid.
I'm still standing after all this time.
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind.
I'm still standing.

Once I never could hope to win
You started down the road
leaving me again.
The threats you made were meant to cut me down
And if my love was just a circus
you'd be a clown by now!!! <- my favorite line.


Sure the body and the lyrics are poignant, but it is the chorus, what we now call the hook, that gets me through many a bad dating experience, even a bad day or week at work. It is my mantra to the bad luck birds that like to drop poop on my convertible.....

I'm still standing
Better than I ever did.
Looking like a TRUE SURVIVOR!
Feeling like a little kid.
I'm still standing
After all this time.
Picking up the pieces of my life without you ON MY MIND.
I'm STILL STANDING.

No comments: