Monday, March 08, 2010

Where is Waldo?

I'm sure you remember the series of books where in a crowd of people, you would have to locate the ever obscure oddly dressed Waldo. What made this task so daunting was that the apparent millions of other people in the picture were all doing the weirdest things and Waldo would just be standing there right in front of your face. Sometimes we think we have to look all over the place when what we are really looking for is right in front of us.
As a rule, I have preferred out of towners, partially because I consider myself an out of towner, and because I like boundaries. However, there is something to be said about locals. Whether it implies a groundedness or just that you have a clearer picture of someone you can see more often in their natural habitat. There is a secure feeling that comes from knowing someone near. Knowing that a person can be there at a moment's notice.
Perhaps my search has been tainted because I have looked all over for WALDO and he has been right in front of my face the whole time. No baggage, No negative history, No Major Issues, just that corny red and white striped sweater. One of the things that makes Waldo so hard to find is that many of the people in the village are dressed just like him. You have to get up close to see if he has on the glasses and the pants and the boots. He has to be WALDO.

No comments: